“This thing is so quick it is outrageous!”Sam Fane, Founder and Star, Seen Through Glass
Revolutionary in that it is the first modern-day Ferrari to favour a twin turbo engine over a naturally aspirated alternative, the 488GTB sounds, feels and performs so brilliantly that we have nearly nothing negative to say about it.
- Engine. Despite having a twin turbo, lag is non-existent and torque is readily available at all rev ranges. The 488GTB is “so quick it is outrageous;”
- Handling. Steering is so precise that, “no matter how quick you’re going, it’ll be there,” right where you expect it to be;
- Versatility. A surprisingly easy car to live with as a daily driver. The twin turbo makes the car more subdued at lower revs;
- Transmission. It’s buttery smooth, unless you’re in Race mode, in which case you get a satisfying “kick in the back” with each shift;
- Brakes. Massive carbon ceramics are incredibly powerful and responsive at high speeds.
- Interior. Plush, sporty and, most importantly, totally driver-focused.
The (few and nitpicky) Negatives
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes. Not a problem specific to the 488, but carbon ceramic brakes tend to squeak at low speeds;
- Sound. This really isn’t a negative in our eyes. However, the twin turbo produces a sound different from the car’s mid-engine predecessors. It’s still loud, it’s still a beautiful sound, but some may, nonetheless, complain about the difference in tone from past models.
0-100 kph (0-60 mph):
3.0 seconds, as tested
0-160 kph (0-100 mph):
6.4 seconds, as tested
330 kph / 205 mph
Position & Transmission:
Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive, 7-speed dual-clutch automatic with manual shifting mode
Twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
238 cu in, 3902 cc
661 hp @ 8000 rpm
561 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm
4567 mm / 179.8 in
1953 mm / 76.9 in
2,649 mm / 104.3 in
1588 kg / 3500 lb
The 2016 Ferrari 488GTB is really a quasi hypercar. It’s an ultimate supercar that you can easily live with as a daily driver. Definitely worth every penny of the quarter million dollars it will set you back. And then some.
PHOTOGRAPHS and VIDEOS © Copyright 2016 TrackWorthy Group Ltd.